The Walt Disney Company (DIS)
A not-so long time ago, in a galaxy not at all far away (cue dramatic music), we may be set to witness Stream Wars! Yes folks this is no joke, our beloved Walt Disney Company will start its own streaming service called Disney +. It was just a matter of time for Disney to expand its empire to the newest and hottest media platform and include a streaming service.
The Netflix share price fell (purple dotted), while Disney (pink line) increased in value when the announcement was made on the 11th of April. The new service is set to undercut current market leader Netflix (NFLX) by some margin.
Source - Bloomberg
On the flip side, Disney’s Keven Mayer said that Disney is not looking to be bigger than Netflix but to coexist as Disney would offer entirely different content.
One thing that is for sure is that Disney is no “Micky Mouse” business anymore and by looking at the latest Q1 earnings release the company will be a household name for generations to come. Revenue beat analysts’ expectations by $96.50m and its Earnings Per Share (EPS) up by $0.30.
The next earnings date is scheduled for the 8th of May 2019.
By looking at the chart of Disney we can see that the price action broke out of the base formation around $116 per share and moved higher. The increased momentum was due to the announcement of the new streaming service. As greed sets in, it is possible that investors might push the price action to a target price of $140 per share in the medium term.
Source - Bloomberg
- Portfolio Hold (Current).
- #WhatsTheBeef Long term Target price: $140.00 (Future)
Know your company: The Walt Disney Company (DIS)
- Founded in 1923, The Walt Disney Company is by far one of the largest and most popular diversified entertainment companies in the world.
- In 2012 Walt Disney Co. shelled out $4bn for LucasFilm, which included the Star Wars and Indiana Jones franchises from George Lucas.
- Florida’s Walt Disney World Resort is the Largest Resort in the World and covers 25 000 acres of land which include 4 theme parks and 18 hotels.
New to investing in US stocks? Learn how to transfer your Rands to Dollars using EasyFX here.
Follow Barry Dumas
Barry is a market analyst with GT247, with a wealth of experience in the investment markets. Now in his tenth year in the markets, Barry "The Beef" Dumas brings a combination of technical analysis and fundamental insights to the table.